Berry Crisp Recipe – Guest Post
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or a mix)
- 2 tbs Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
A couple of ingredient notes: You can use fresh berries. They’re gonna get cooked down, though, so I use frozen and save the fresh ones for a recipe where presentation matters.
This is a little more on the tart side. That’s my preference and it sweetens up nicely with ice cream or whipped cream. However, you could add a couple tablespoons of sugar to the berries for a sweeter crumble.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, combine the frozen berries, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Stir to coat the berries in the cornstarch, and divide the berry mixture between 6 ramekins. Place on a cookie sheet.
Put softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, flour, oats, and spices.
Using a fork, break up the butter, and mash everything together. It should be crumbly; it can have little pea sized lumps for butter, but you want all of the ingredients incorporated. (I mash it so the butter squishes between the tines of the fork, giving it a little stir every so often. If you keep squishing and mashing, it will take about 2 or 3 minutes to mix the topping.)
When the topping is mixed, start spooning it over the berries, trying to distribute evenly over the tops, with a similar amount on each crisp.
Put your cookie sheet with the individual crisps in the oven. Immediately turn the heat down to 350 degrees. Bake for about 20 minutes until the berry filling is bubbly, and the tops are nicely browned. If the tops are getting too dark, cover them with foil, and turn the oven down to 325 degrees.
Remove from oven and let cool about 30 minutes. Great when served with ice cream, whipped cream, or even plain!
Optional – you can put the berries into an 8 inch pan, then cover with the topping. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, till the center is bubbly.
**About the Author**
How Was Your Day is the chronicles of a 20-something gal about town. Greta likes style, creating, travel, and hockey. She also cannot resist anything that has chocolate and peanut butter combined.
- Caramel Apple Smoothie Recipe
- An Easy Apple-Themed Lunch Party Planned at Sam’s Club
- Accidently Finding the Perfect Furniture Piece for Our Entryway
- It’s a Fab Five Friday – August 29th Edition
- Our Family’s Special Bond with our Dog, Ellie
- Creamy Chicken Quesadillas Recipe & Labels for Education #Labels4Edu #cbias
- Get a Shot. Give a Shot® with Walgreens Immunizations & Shot@Life
- Keeping up with Busy Schedules & How T-Mobile’s Free Data Plan Can Help
- A Simple & Fun Way to Brighten Someone’s Day with Just a Card