Berry Crisp Recipe – Guest Post
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or a mix)
- 2 tbs Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
A couple of ingredient notes: You can use fresh berries. They’re gonna get cooked down, though, so I use frozen and save the fresh ones for a recipe where presentation matters.
This is a little more on the tart side. That’s my preference and it sweetens up nicely with ice cream or whipped cream. However, you could add a couple tablespoons of sugar to the berries for a sweeter crumble.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, combine the frozen berries, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Stir to coat the berries in the cornstarch, and divide the berry mixture between 6 ramekins. Place on a cookie sheet.
Put softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, flour, oats, and spices.
Using a fork, break up the butter, and mash everything together. It should be crumbly; it can have little pea sized lumps for butter, but you want all of the ingredients incorporated. (I mash it so the butter squishes between the tines of the fork, giving it a little stir every so often. If you keep squishing and mashing, it will take about 2 or 3 minutes to mix the topping.)
When the topping is mixed, start spooning it over the berries, trying to distribute evenly over the tops, with a similar amount on each crisp.
Put your cookie sheet with the individual crisps in the oven. Immediately turn the heat down to 350 degrees. Bake for about 20 minutes until the berry filling is bubbly, and the tops are nicely browned. If the tops are getting too dark, cover them with foil, and turn the oven down to 325 degrees.
Remove from oven and let cool about 30 minutes. Great when served with ice cream, whipped cream, or even plain!
Optional – you can put the berries into an 8 inch pan, then cover with the topping. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, till the center is bubbly.
**About the Author**
How Was Your Day is the chronicles of a 20-something gal about town. Greta likes style, creating, travel, and hockey. She also cannot resist anything that has chocolate and peanut butter combined.
- DIY Poker Night Gift Mugs
- My Current Top 5 TV Shows & The Social Network for TV: Beamly
- The New Logitech Harmony Smart Keyboard for Smart TVs from Best Buy
- Visiting Warm Springs Ranch – Home of the Budweiser Clydesdales
- 5 Simple Tips for Tackling the Grocery Store with Little Ones
- A Collection of 12+ Savory Pork Sunday Dinner Recipes
- 2 Sweet DIY Easter Gift Ideas with Printable Tags
- I’m Spring Cleaning my Dietary Supplements with Modere
- Extra Peanut Butter Bacon Cheeseburger