I enjoy preparing a homemade meal for my family as often as possible. It can be time consuming, but it’s very rewarding to me. However, there are those days where nothing seems to go right, I lose track of time, or we are running errands all day. Then the next thing I know, dinner needs to get on the table. What can I do? What can I make? I am continuously trying to find ways and recipes to simply my kitchen to make things easier on me and is still healthier for my family.Read More
One of my favorite foods to cook with are potatoes. I think I could eat potatoes every day. This is one of my favorite side dishes to make with potatoes. It takes a little longer than most of my side dishes I make, but it is worth it. I like to make it with steaks, vegetables, and a salad. If you like cheesy and tasty potatoes, you are sure to love these! Enjoy!
- 5-6 potatoes, sliced into ¼” slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- onion powder to taste
- Bacon Bits (optional)
- 4 tbs butter
- 4 tbs flour
- 2¼ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 1 quart casserole dish with foil.
- Layer ½ of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic salt (and bacon bits if you choose). Set the second half of the potatoes aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan on medium heat. After it melts, add the flour and stir with a whisk for approx. 60 seconds. Add in the milk. Cook until mixture has thickened, stirring often (takes a few minutes). Mix in the cheese, and continue stirring until melted.
- Pour half the cheese mixture over the potatoes.
- Add the rest of the potatoes, season again, and pour the rest of the cheese mixture over it (add bacon bits if you’d like).
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1½ hours, removing the foil for the last 20 minutes.
- 5 Tips for Successful Afterschool Pre-K Learning + Disney Junior Activities
- A Little Back-to-School Prep & Supporting Teachers
- It’s a Fab Five Friday! July 25th Edition
- 9 Tips for Easing Into the New School Year Like a Pro
- A Typical Day with ‘Seasonal’ Allergies
- A Summer of ‘Firsts’ + First Aid with Puracyn OTC Wound & Skin Care
- It’s a Fab Five Friday! July 18th Edition
- Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in Downtown St. Louis
- It’s a Fab Five Friday! July 11th Edition