Any holiday or occasion gives me the perfect opportunity to make a fun-themed dessert. With St. Patrick’s Day in a few days, all I see is green and at first, all I thought about was mint. While I am a huge fan of mint (especially paired with chocolate), my three kids are not.
I wanted a green kid-friendly dessert for them to enjoy on St. Patrick’s Day, so I turned to my trusted food coloring and pudding pairing. Last year I made a No-Bake Valentine’s Day Dessert which inspired this one. The kids loved it and it takes a simple pudding dessert to the next level. Before I started the dessert, I made some candy toppers.
This is simple with green candy melts (melted following instructions on the package). Once melted, placed them into a sandwich bag, clip a corner (very small), and piped some shamrocks and designs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Just 5 minutes in the freezer and they are all set.
While they were in the freezer, I made the layered dessert with the help of the boys. They love helping in the kitchen and this is a simple dessert that they can do most steps on their own.
I did try a few different layer orders. There really is no preference as to which works best. You could even let the kids pick their own order.
If you are looking for more St. Patty’s Day recipe ideas, check out these below:
- 1 Box of Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 3 Cups Milk (or amount called for on pudding package)
- Green Food Coloring
- Crushed Oreos
- Whipped Cream
- Green Sprinkles (optional)
- Candy Melts (optional)
- If making topping decorations with candy melts, do that first. Once they are melted, placed them into a sandwich bag, clip a corner (very small), and piped some shamrocks and designs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer and they will be hardened by the time you are done with the recipe.
- Make pudding, make according to packaging.
- Once the milk and mix are combined, add a couple of drops of green food coloring. It doesn't take a lot. Let set for about 5 minutes.
- Layer pudding and crushed Oreos in a bowl or dessert cups.
- Top with whipped cream, sprinkles, etc.