“I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council. I received a stipend to facilitate my purchase for my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”
Goals are important to me. Goals of all shapes and sizes. Yes, I love having big goals, but at times, they can be a little overwhelming. Then there are the little ones. The ones that are just baby steps leading to a larger goal. More often than not, they are even more important.
Of course with the new year comes new goals. Last week I talked about my running goals, but I can’t meet those unless I stay on top of my health and the foods I eat. Making a complete overhaul of my diet can set me up for a quick downfall. However, I have always been pretty caution of what I eat. So little changes are easy, but can make a huge difference.
With a goal of eating more fruits daily, a little change has been simply adding more blueberries to my meals. They have always been an easy snack for me to keep on hand and grab a handful when I need something sweet. Now, I have started pairing with some other dishes also.
5 Foods to Pair with Blueberries
For me, breakfast and snacking go hand-in-hand. So all these foods make a delicious breakfast or snack.
1. Oatmeal – I have been topping plain oatmeal with a handful of blueberries to give it a sweet taste.
2. Waffles – Trying to cut back on syrup, which I really love(d), I needed something to give waffles a little more taste. The blueberries are perfect on the top, and can also be turned into a simple sauce with water and a faux sugar to pour over the waffles.
3. Pancakes – See above. The reasoning is the same as waffles.
4. Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream – Adding a little fruit to ice cream always makes me feel a little less guilty about eating a bowl.
5. Yogurt – This is my favorite way, by far, to eat yogurt. I love to layer low-fat vanilla yogurt, low-fat granola (with a touch of honey), and fresh blueberries in a small bowl. The mixture of crunchy, sweet, and smooth makes for a delectable snack, breakfast, or post-run treat.
Making little changes is simple and rewarding to lead a healthier lifestyle. If you need more motivation, the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council is hosting a sweepstakes through which you can enter
to win a trip for two to LA for the Little Changes Kitchen Challenge alongside actress, author and TV host Alison Sweeney. There are also awesome prizes for the runners up, so learn more and enter to win the sweepstakes now (ends February 16, 2015).
How do you like to eat blueberries?